Kalamunda Overpower Perth Bayswater in Dunsborough

By Fraser Smith

Kalamunda have downed Perth Bayswater 36-14 in the Pindan Premier Grade Match of the Round in Dunsborough this afternoon in what was a fantastic finish to the Dunsborough Dungbeetles 21st anniversary celebrations.

The match was a competition first which saw the Pindan Premier Grade and Pindan Reserve Grade travel to the South West, an initiative proudly supported by the Road Safety Commission (RSC). Both the Pindan Premier Grade and Reserve Grade sides made the journey down by bus and after some hard fought contests will make the journey back via bus, supported by RSC.

Kalamunda came out of the blocks hard in the opening minutes, earning a number of penalties to put Perth Bayswater on the back foot.

The Bulls quickly made the most of their dangerous attacking position with flyhalf Hamish Buick swinging a cut-out pass to find Sioeli Tupou in space for the try. Buick converted to give Kalamunda a 7-0 lead.

Dominating possession and territory Kalamunda set up camp in the Bayswater half and good vision from Buick once again allowed winger Kiti Nairube to cruise down the right wing for Kalamunda’s second try in the first 10 minutes.

A penalty for incorrect entry allowed Buick to kick for the corner and the Kalamunda forward pack did the rest, executing a strong rolling maul from just five metres out for Taine Oakley to score. Buick converted to push the margin out to 19-points after 20-minutes.

A penalty at the breakdown against the Bulls handed Perth Bayswater their first real attacking chance and they made no mistake, with hooker Ben Buist crashing over after an attacking lineout. Dylan Parsons slotted the conversion bring the score to 19-7.

Both teams went searching for more points in the shadows of halftime but strong defence including forced penalties from Kalamunda captain Russell Burges and ‘Baysie’ lock Rhys O’Connor-Hale kept the margin at 12-points at the break.

Looking to play the game on their terms, Kalamunda drew first blood in the second half performing a classy set piece move off a scrum 10 metres from the line for Jack Weir dive over in the corner.

Determined to stay in the contest the Numbats struck back just five minutes later with Benji Keenan carrying hard and offloading to Jacob Buist who set up Jonah Chase to go over in the right corner. Parsons converted to bring the margin back to 10 points, 24-14.

Continuing the back and forth contest Kalamunda were quick to respond with replacement prop Josh Heke barrelling his way over the line from the base of the ruck. Buick had no trouble adding the extras to hand the Bulls a 31-14 lead.

Sensing the chance to put the game beyond doubt the Bulls played through their forwards to march Perth Bayswater back eventually finding the try line through replacement front rower, Tawhiri Rewha.

Fighting right to the death Perth Bayswater went hunting for a consolation try but it wasn’t to be with the Bulls’ defence holding strong as Kalamunda ran out deserving 22-point victors.

Thank you to the Road Safety Commission for their support of this event, and RugbyWA is proud to help spread the Road Safety message across the state. There were 26 fatalities in the South West in 2016, at a rate of 14.5 per 100,000 population. In other words, there are twice as many road fatalities in the South West as compared to the state average (which is 7.3 per 100,000).